Pathway lighting can add a touch of elegance and style to any outdoor living space, commercial business or public area.
By installing pathway lighting, you can make your space more inviting and welcoming to guests. This guide explains your options for pathway lighting and how to choose the best type for your needs.
What is Pathway Lighting?
Pathway lighting is a type of outdoor lighting that is installed along walkways, pathways and sidewalks. Pathway lighting is used to provide illumination for pedestrians and to make walkways more visible at night.
Pathway lighting can also be used to highlight features in your landscape or garden.
Many people choose to illuminate their pathways for safety reasons and because it makes outdoor spaces more attractive. Often, these lights pull double-duty in both these areas. In any case, it’s incredibly important that if you’re considering adding pathway lighting, you work with the experts at Dallas Landscape Lighting.
Our team is led by a master electrician, so even if you need new wiring to make the magic happen, we have you covered. Even better, you don’t need a specific plan; we can bring your vision to life.
Benefits of Pathway Lighting in Outdoor Living Space
There are many benefits to adding pathway lighting to your outdoor living space. In addition to making your outdoor space more inviting, pathway lighting can also:
- Provide safety for pedestrians by making walkways more visible at night
- Highlight features in your landscape or garden
- Add value to your home by increasing curb appeal
- Improve the overall look of your outdoor living space
Benefits of Pathway Lighting in a Commercial or Public Space
Pathway lighting is nearly always a good idea in commercial or public spaces. The benefits of pathway lighting in these spaces include:
- Making the area more inviting and welcoming to guests
- Improving the overall look of the space
- Making the area safer for pedestrians by making walkways more visible at night
- Highlighting features in the landscape or gardens
- Preventing crime and lawsuits
Request A Free Consultation or Estimate Now!
Types of Pathway Lighting
There are many different types of pathway lighting available on the market today. The type of pathway lighting you choose will depend on your budget, the look you’re going for and the amount of maintenance you’re willing to do.
The following sections outline the most popular types of pathway lighting.
Solar lights are a popular choice for pathway lighting because they’re relatively inexpensive and easy to install. Solar lights are powered by the sun, so they don’t require any wiring. Solar lights are available in a variety of styles, including traditional lanterns, path lights and string lights.
Low-voltage lights are another popular choice for pathway lighting. Low-voltage lights are powered by a transformer that converts 120-volt household current to 12 volts. Low-voltage lights are more expensive than solar lights, but they’re also more powerful and longer lasting. Low-voltage pathway lights are available in a variety of styles, including traditional lanterns, path lights, string lights and LED lights.
LED lights are the most energy-efficient type of pathway lighting. LED lights use very little electricity and last for many years. LED pathway lights are available in a variety of styles, including traditional lanterns, path lights, string lights and solar lights.
How to Choose the Right Pathway Lighting
When choosing pathway lighting for your outdoor living space, commercial business or public area, there are a few things you should keep in mind.
- The first is to choose a type of light that will complement the overall look of your outdoor space. If you have a traditional home, for example, you might want to choose traditional lanterns or string lights. If you have a modern home, you might want to choose path lights or LED lights.
- The second thing to keep in mind is maintenance. Solar lights and LED lights require very little maintenance, while low-voltage lights and traditional lanterns require more frequent cleaning and replacement of bulbs.
- The third thing to keep in mind is budget. Solar lights are the most inexpensive type of pathway lighting, while LED lights are the most expensive.
Why Choose Dallas Landscape Lighting to Install Your Outdoor Path Lighting?
At Dallas Landscape Lighting, we specialize in outdoor lighting. We have decades of combined experience installing outdoor lighting for homes and businesses in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Our team is led by a master electrician, too, which means that we can re-wire (or install all new wiring) your area to perfectly illuminate your space.
We offer a wide variety of outdoor lighting services, including:
- Pathway lighting
- Party and string lights
- Moonlighting and tree lighting
- Patio and arbor lighting
- Wrapped tree lights
- Holiday and Christmas light installation
- Security lights
- Commercial outdoor lighting
Maintenance and Care for Your Pathway Lights
After your pathway lights are installed, it’s important to maintain them properly. This will ensure that they last for many years and continue to look their best.
Here are four tips for maintaining your outdoor pathway lights:
- Clean the lenses of your outdoor lights regularly with a soft cloth or brush.
- Replace any burned-out bulbs immediately.
- Check the wiring of your outdoor lights regularly to make sure there are no frayed or exposed wires.
- If you have solar lights, make sure the solar panels are clean and free of debris.
How to Plan Your Outdoor Pathway Lighting
First things first: You don’t need to put together a plan for outdoor pathway lighting when you work with Dallas Landscape Lighting. We can map out your entire lighting scheme for you, make suggestions on the types of lights you need, and put it all into action. However, if you would like to plan your walkway lighting on your own, here are four things to keep in mind:
- Decide where you want to install your lights. Pathway lights can be installed along walkways, gardens, decks and patios.
- Decide what type of light you want to use. Solar lights, low-voltage lights and LED lights are all great choices for outdoor pathway lighting.
- Determine how many lights you’ll need. A general rule of thumb is to use one light for every 10 feet (3 meters) of pathway.
- Choose a style of light that will complement the overall look of your outdoor space. Traditional lanterns, path lights, string lights and solar lights are all great choices.
Contact Dallas Landscape Lighting About Your Outdoor Path Lighting Project Today
If you’re ready to add outdoor pathway lighting to your home or business in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, we’re here to help. Contact us today to schedule a consultation with one of our lighting experts. We’ll come to your property, assess your needs and design a lighting plan that’s perfect for you. Our team has extensive experience in lighting up DFW, and we can put our in-depth knowledge of layout, products and design to work for you.